Amaranth SuperBar? What exactly is it you may be asking. I know I did. Up until recently I had never even heard of amaranth. Heck I am just learning what Quinoa is. But I became fascinated with this new food. So what exactly is amaranth let me tell you.
Amaranth is a tall plant with brilliant gold, purple and red leaves and tiny cream-colored seeds (sometimes referred to as grains). Amaranth, which means “never-fading” in Greek, is considered a “pseudo-cereal” because it resembles the flavor of cereals and the way cereals are cooked. The Aztecs, the ancient culture of Central America, are said to have incorporated amaranth in up to 80% of their diet. They would often toast the grains like we make popcorn today, and mix them with honey, molasses, or chocolate.
Besides containing far more iron, calcium, protein, manganese, fiber, and other phytonutrients (healthy properties) than wheat or rice, amaranth is also high in iron, selenium, and vitamin A and C. It’s one of the most protein-rich plant-based foods, rivaling animal-based foods like cheese.
Amaranth’s protein is especially good for children. It helps other foods deliver their protein better to a child’s growing bones.
Amaranth SuperBars Aren’t Just another Snack Bar
My teenager can eat his weight in snacks. From fresh fruit and veggies to snack bars. This is great until I find myself at the grocery store everyday stocking up. With these Achieve snack bars he can still get a great snack that is low-calorie, highly nutritious, and satisfyingly filling and I have a lower snacking bill. Plus they are a great on the go snack that he can eat on his way to band practice.
The best times to eat SuperBars
- With your first (and second and third) cup of morning coffee
- When your belly is making annoying and embarrassing noises and you need a quick pick-me-up to make them go away
- Before you hit the gym, to get a light, clean stream of energy
- When you’ve buckled your kids in and they want a snack on the road
- While you’re studying and having trouble staying focused
- When you need a snack but don’t want a sugar high, followed by a crash (think mid-afternoon!)
- As an offering to a friend who looks like they really need it
- Before (or during) the SAT again, that light, clean stream of energy will see you through!
Let’s Talk: What is your healthy go to snack? Would you give these a try?
Disclaimer: I received one or more items for free to help facilitate this post. However all opinions are 100% mine and i never recommend any product I would not use myself.